Do you want to work with Java and the hottest AWS stack on distributed systems, data modeling, and scalability? At Turnitin we operate at a high scale across global markets on a market-leading assessment-management solution that includes exam creation, administration, delivery, scoring and analysis.
Turnitin is seeking a Senior Software Engineer who will be working on 2 co-products that help to provide additional exam integrity to the assessment process.
Do you have the skills—and drive—to join a tech team that’s working to digitally transform the ed-tech industry? From test-driving the latest technologies to creating high performing applications, Turnitin is constantly innovating and creating industry-leading solutions that provide peace of mind for our customers worldwide. Turnitin has an inspiring mission, cutting-edge technologies, and in-house product development.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Turnitin, you’ll apply your talents in an agile environment that has the creative energy of a start-up, a highly flexible work environment, a culture of innovation, and most importantly other talented engineers, designers, and product managers to interact with and learn from.
- Make significant contributions implementing our shared services, as well
as help maintain and upgrade existing ones.
- Hands-on position which requires 90-95% of writing the code.
- Provide guidance in technical design and development activities.
- Ensure future success and stability through code reviews and automated testing.
- Work closely with software architects and database/operations engineers on system infrastructure and design.
- Lead on technical design reviews and recommend improvements.
- Mentor engineers in software development, Java best practices, and technical decisions and emerging technologies.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- 5-7 years experience of designing and developing applications using Java
- Experience in more modern Java technologies
- 5-7 years of experience with relational databases
- 1+ year of cloud development with AWS preferred
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Extensive experience with software development best practices (e.g. design patterns, test-driven development, code profiling, debugging).
- Effective technical and cross-functional communication (product, design, operations).
- High level knowledge and experience of industry trends and technology advancements relating to distributed systems, cloud, platform as a service, and software as a service.
- Experience in building cloud-ready solutions based on microservices and multi-tenancy architecture.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
Nice to Have:
Hands-on experience with pure Java core development (no frameworks) & performance tuning
Experience with Cloud Native solutions preferably AWS (Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS, SNS, S3, etc)
Extensive experience with different architecture types including event-driven architecture
Experience in working with geographically distributed teams including the USA & European countries
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of ExamSoft. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Turnitin is a global SaaS company dedicated to ensuring the integrity of education and research and supporting the development of original thinking skills. As the academic and research landscape evolves, Turnitin stays ahead of trends through advancements in technology and deep partnerships with education leaders, institutions, and practitioners.
Turnitin’s proprietary content databases — built over 20 years — provide an unparalleled repository of 1+ billion student papers, best-in-class scholarly content from top publishers in every major discipline, and in dozens of languages, and 70+ billion current and archived web pages. We promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all assignment types and subject areas so that educators can help students do their best, original work.
DOU company page:
Job posted on
14 April 2021